Tuesday, November 15, 2011

what it used to look like



 ...before the white stuff came. Yep, it's here, about two feet so far, and yes, it's pretty, but it's just...white. It was minus fifteen last night when we went to bed, and it warmed up to four or five today. So I was craving some color and found some pictures that I should've shared with you in a more timely manner, but didn't. Sorry. :)


These are of the Butte, the second time we went up this year, in August. It was steep here, baby.

Lovely, breathtaking, amazing, my favorite time...you get to the top and if you hit it just right, the colors are phenomenal and the fireweed has all of its ethereal seed fluff everywhere, frosting the tips of the red foliage. We missed the full effect by about a week, but it was still spectacular.


                                    
That's Pioneer Peak, right. . . . . . . . . . there. ^

Happy girl, coloring on the back deck in bare feet and a sundress. It seems a long way off as I am sitting here knitting thumby mittens, with the thermometer at 3.4 degrees - except she is like this all year long, regardless of the weather (we have her wear jeans under the sundresses in the winter, sometimes).
This is our oregano. I like it because it just grows and you don't have to do anything to it except harvest it, and it comes back every year. Except for the time when - well, I won't mention any names, but it's a guy that I'm married to - someone accidentally sprayed it with weed killer. Whoops. We didn't harvest it that year. It's pretty though, hmm?

 Settlers of Catan in the backyard. This is the best. Somehow sippy cups always end up in my photos...
 *contemplating world domination*

So here I am, trying to figure out how to put thumbs on felted mittens, and we are looking at wind chills of 30 below tonight. Let's not think about that. Let's think of warm things, cocoa-y things, and blankets. Here goes.




 Cotton Spa Face Cloths Washcloths in Cafe Au Lait and Ecru Cotton spa face cloths from JeanieBeanHandknits


 Soy Jar Candle - Kettle Corn - 11.5 oz Kettle corn soy candle by The Lodge Spa

Vintage Zig Zag Vintage zigzag blanket by Sydney's Designs

Time to throw more wood in the stove, and I really should get that thumb added to this mitten. Hope you all have a wonderful night.  ♥

16 comments:

Becky K. said...

Wow! That is cold! Love the warm photos though. And that your kiddos enjoy playing games together.

Very Verdant said...

What a beautiful and inspiring world you live in. All those sweet blessings...oh my.

Angels and Everlastings said...

Thanks for sharing -- loved looking at your photos

luvncrafts said...

Beautiful pictures and fun read!! That same sippy cup ends up in many of our pictures. LOL

Sue Runyon said...

Great photos. I miss Alaska!

*~Niki~* said...

Beautiful photos, the views look amazing. Niki x

krafterskorner said...

Brrr! I'm glad it doesn't get that cold here very often.

Beautiful photos!

I didn't know that is what Oregano looks like. I take it in the winter to keep congestion out of my lungs. It is pretty!

sammysgrammy said...

brrrrrrrrrr. winter co9mes fast and furious there !!

JulieandMax said...

Gorgeous photos :-)

Julia Badgley said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm not looking forward to the cold winter here. We pulled out the winter jacket today.
Lovely pictures!

Loretta - Thoughtful Gems said...

Lovely pictures. I am not ready for the cold weather, but it's coming anyway.

Valerie Weller said...

What a most beautiful area to be living in... and the cold... brrr! But your home and family lookslike it brings the most wonderful warmth! thanks for sharing a peek into your home & family with us.

MYSAVIOR said...

Amazing photos, Shannon!

♥♥♥
Sue

Lorri D said...

Beautiful photos. Alaska is breathtaking. I can't imagine going through winters that cold. I complain when it gets below 30 degrees. Thanks for sharing.

Kathleen said...

CCcccan I hhhaaave sommme cococococoa nnow, pppplease?
and a bankie!
Beautiful *warm* photos!

Faith Caroline said...

Do you have a spare room, if I decide to visit this beauty? ;)
I love this post!!!!

AddThis