Monday, February 6, 2012

translation, please


Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached the point in communicating with a toddler where every conversation sounds like a game show:

"Arewanasinchintoo!"

"You what?"

"Arewanasinchintoooo!" She nods vehemently.

"You want something? You want a...what?!"

"Arewanasinchintooooooooo!" Begins jumping up and down.

"You want a chicken? A spinach? An inchworm?" It doesn't matter how ridiculous the guesses are, you just keep throwing them out there because her volume is increasing and suddenly three other family members are chiming in like a bad 80's episode of Family Feud.

"She's saying she wants dessert!" "She wants us to get a pony!" "No, she wants to watch a movie! She said she wants to watch Nemo!"



All the while the toddler is yelling, "No!" and looking more and more insulted - at least until Nemo is mentioned, and then she stops briefly to consider that option...but, no, no, it's definitely "Arewanasinchintooooooooo!"

I give up and resort to the best interpreter I have: our seven year old daughter. Her sister, her roommate, her best friend, and the one who has shown a gifting for the interpretation of tongues more than once before. If this doesn't work, we might have to plug in Nemo.

Sister arrives. We ask Miss to repeat her request, and she compliantly announces "Arewanasinchintooooooooo! Arewanasinchintooooooooo!" clear as anything.


Sister looks at me calmly. "She wants a sandwich," and walks away.

Miss lights up, nodding the affirmative, and we have a winner. "Yeah! Yeah!  Arewanasinchintooooooooo!"

Of course. I knew that.

17 comments:

Very Verdant said...

How sweet! I miss those days!

Tanya said...

SO cute!! I have had to resort to the sibling translator a time or two, also.

Mechelle said...

That's funny! Thank goodness for your seven year old. It is funny when they look at you like you are a dummy for not understanding their jibberish. I remember those days.

Julia Badgley said...

I love that her sister understands!

Susan Windsor said...

Love it! So sweet. GREAT photos too. :)

Aloquin said...

I am in the bedroom with my two sleeping young ones, reading this, and I burst out laughing! Thankfully, they're still sleeping ;)

KarenW said...

Aww! That is so sweet. Thank goodness for big sister!!

MYSAVIOR said...

Oh my! That is the cutest!!

♥♥♥
Sue

Angels and Everlastings said...

That is so cute -- thanks for sharing!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

LOVE this! Brings back memories! Can't wait now for my granddaughter to start talking, whether I can understand her or not!!

Kelly Bermudez said...

Too cute!!!

sammysgrammy said...

PB&J?

Sue Runyon said...

Awwww. What?! You couldn't understand Miss C?

ZudaGay said...

hehehe....our life goes like this quite often with a 4 year old granddaughter with speech difficulties and a 21 month old grandson who is becoming very vocal about most everything. I miss the verbal cuteness once they learn to say everything...but it is easier to fulfill requests.

Crafty Mommas said...

bwahahahahahaha! I love it! so funny! and I love how calmly her sister tells you as if to say "duh" haha

*~Niki~* said...

That is really funny, good job you have an interpretor lol ;) Blessings Niki x

healthiersteps said...

This is hilarious, I have a two year old and I have the same experience lol!

Michelle Blackwood@Healthiersteps

AddThis